AiR Textile Residency
January 2nd – February 2nd
2016 sees Culture Vultures Launch their first textile specific Artist in Residence Project.
The aim of this innovative 4-week project is to encourage contemporary artists and practitioners from all disciplines to feed their creative practice and collaborate with the textile artisans of the region including the women craft makers of Morocco. The wealth of artisanal talent available includes carpet knotters, weavers, brocade experts, tailors, textile buttons makers, natural dyers, embroiderers, stitchers and cloth knotters to name but a few.
The residency focuses on cultural immersion and community engagement. The definition of an artist is broad encompassing all art forms and media. Culture Vultures has a preference for unexpected collaborations that combine sharing approaches and in-depth exchanges that involve an experimental approach and contemporary presentation.
This month-long programme is hosted by Culture Vultures in Sefrou medina, which has played host to Roman, Jewish, Berber and Arab communities since the eighth century.
The itinerary will incorporate a series of lectures and workshops and includes an intensive 5-day trip which will comprise of:
- A visit to Fez medina, the oldest continuously working medina in the Islamic world. The artisanal movement here has existed throughout the rise and fall of several imperial dynasties over hundreds of years operating in this rich historic environment.
- A trip around and over the middle atlas mountains,
- The excitement of Khenifra carpet auction
- A visit to the artist residency at Tissardmine. Situated in an oasis, this tiny traditional Berber village, is perched on the edge of one of the Sahara’s most extraordinary natural phenomenon’s, Erg Chebbi, a large dune stretching for 22 kms.
Throughout the residency, contemporary practitioners will join forces with traditional skills and approaches of weaving cloth, stitch work, and carpet knotting working in fibres, threads and cloth.
An example of some of the craftsmen and women you will meet are
- Expert dyers whose workshops bring faded fabrics back to life along with their skills in dying luxurious cactus silk and leathers to suit every taste with their intricate book of specialised formulas for an array of different colour combinations across the spectrum.
- A visit to a fundouq where you will witness the full collective of weavers utilizing their optimal dexterity to full effect with their hand and foot pedal operated looms as a full variety of wonderful shapes and patterns emerge in their sumptuous fabrics which incorporate hues of Moroccan sunsets, warm pinks, Islamic green and the quintessential Fez blue.
This month-long residency offers a unique opportunity to meet this extraordinary league of textile artisans while gaining an exclusive understanding and insight into their daily lives and the techniques they use as well as the workings of this ancient medina.
When – This residency will take place from 4th January– 1st February 2016
Comfortable accommodation in Sefrou medina.
Extensive workshop time with the artisans and skills exchange.
Professional facilitation between visiting artists and artisans.
The rich program of activities mentioned above.
Does not include
Travel to / from Fez at either side of the residency.
Insurance or Food
Closing Date for receipt of submissions is July 15th, 2015. For an application form click here Textile AiR application
For more information and submissions mail: email@example.com