AiR Artisan III / 23rd September – 28th October
Artists CALL OUT – DEADLINE EXTENDED to MAY 30th
- What – Artists are invited apply for the third edition of AiR Artisan. The artist residency program in Northern Morocco connects artists with the traditional artisan-ship of the region and enables contemporary practitioners and local traditional crafts people an intimate and deep insight into one other’s practice.
- Who We Are – Culture Vultures is an arts and culture organization coming from the core of Sefrou, North Morocco, that designs and hosts artist residencies with the aim of building bridges through the arts. This artist run initiative is led by Jess Stephens and a local team of facilitators and assistants with many collaborators and support from the surrounding regional community. Now with several years’ experience hosting national and international artists and with strong relations within the artisan-ship of the Fez region this residency allows visiting artists and local artisans alike to feed their arts practice and make deep connections.
- The Program includes an academic lecture and a round table, orientation visits to Fez medina, around the hosting town of Sefrou and a village visit to understand the variety of demographics and environs of the region. Facilitation of artists and artisan collaborations and artist dinners as well as independent studio time.
- The Abode – Culture Vultures newly acquired residency, Dar Attamani, in the heart of the old town of Sefrou, is an old Jewish house that now comfortably houses creatives from around the globe. Carved wooden features, colored glass windows, large bedrooms, various lounge spaces and panoramic views are some of what the house has to offer. Studio spaces are available close by, within the old city.
- The environment – Sefrou is a market town at the base of the middle Atlas Mountains, with a multi-layered, mutli-cultural history, an ancient walled medina in its center and a surrounding growing new town. Culture Vultures hub is set in the medina, an old Funduk ( caravan serrai ?? hotel ) hemmed in by carpenters, tailors and thread spinners. Iron mongers and blanket weavers are some of the neighboring community and C.V. collaborators. Fez, 25 km away, the regional capital and ancient imperial city not only offers residents the living museum of old medina but also cultural institutions and academic centers in it’s new town.
Image by Wilhemina Garcia
- The Artists – Writers, musicians, dancers, visual artists, composers, designers, architects, multi-media artists and mutli-disciplinary artists, researchers and curators are invited to apply. The definition of artists is broad and projects with unexpected collaborations and unsuspected fruitions are encouraged.
- When – Application deadline MAY 30th / Residency Dates – from 22nd September– 28th October 2016
Download Application here: air Artisan 16 application
- Cost of the residency 1150 Euros.
Includes – accommodation, artisan connections and facilitation, orientation visits and an academic program and artist gatherings.
Does Not Include – Travel to or from the residency program, insurance, production costs and meals.
For more information or application hand in – firstname.lastname@example.org